Friday, September 15, 2017

It isn't always easy ...

Everyone has their struggles in this life, mine tend to be more physical and health related, but there's a definite sense of satisfaction that comes with the accomplishment of tasks that others find easy.

Like today, I have been labeling AVON and mark. brochures. The sitting hurts my back so much, and the twisting to put them back in the box, so I have to do it for maybe 15-20 minute periods and then lie on my side, to take the stress off my back. Finally, I ended up just lying on my side labelling the last few, sitting again just was NOT going to happen!

I'm chuffed with my walking more, since I've had the rollator, but my posture sucks as it is less painful to lean on it bent over, than to be upright. 

I don't trust my body to "walk" unaided. My knee and hip both have instances where they will not support me, and I'm deathly afraid of breaking something, since I cannot be anaesthetized for a surgery. I just try to always be very careful and be holding on to something, or someone, when I'm walking at all.

It must be fun to be a fly on my wall and see me leaning on one thing after another, as I make my way to the kitchen or front door.

But, the point I'm making really is that I feel SO GOOD when I can look back and see that I made it there and back, or (like earlier) I labelled and reboxed all those AVON and mark. brochures. I feel like I am STILL doing my bit for the economy (and the family finances).

I do love my AVON too, because it gave me back my self esteem when I was losing it as my health began going downhill in 2006. I had started having to call into work and say I wasn't coming in, some days it was my hip, others my back, but if I couldn't make it out of bed, it didn't matter what part wasn't doing its job, it meant I wasn't able to get to my car, or to work.

When the doctor took x-rays she was shocked at how bad my hips and knees were. Without replacement (which can't happen because of the anaesthesia issue) she said I'd be in a wheelchair within 2 years. That meant 2008. I made it to 2014 before I started needing to use one, when I also got my electric scooter for being able to go out and do things with hubby.

Not being on Disability benefit, even though being in my bed most of the day, meant that the "little or no cost" advertisements on the tv didn't apply to me. My co-pay would be $2000!  I ended up getting one secondhand and paying half that, and where did I get the money from? Savings from my AVON, and a bit of help from a tax refund.

I do love it though. The first time I used it, hubby and I went to the zoo on our anniversary. Since then we've gone to the theater a couple of times, some concerts, and a local hiking trail that is still too far for me to manage to walk, even with my rollator. It gave me back some areas of my life that I'd had to give up prior to getting it.

Now, with my rollator, I have managed to walk more, so am starting to get out and do that more, which is good exercise! With that, we go to Cedar Falls and I sit and watch the river.



It's one of my calming places when my blood pressured decides to go awry. This pic is taken from my favourite spot, looking back towards the old dam from the mill that used to operate here. To my right, the river deepens and becomes quite fast and strong moving.

No matter what trials and tribulations we face, we all need to find our peaceful places, where we can retreat and refresh ourselves. Cedar Falls is one of mine, a beautiful part of God's creation that soothes my spirit and uplifts my moods.

Have a wonderful weekend, my friends .





No comments:

Post a Comment