Wednesday, April 19, 2017

I needed a break from the house, this past weekend, so hubby and I took a short road trip down to Ware Shoals. There's a house we like down there, and though we can't afford it, we wanted to drive by and enjoy looking at it. It sits atop a hill, and was built in he 1930s. Has a wrap around porch. Yes, we just love to look at it and dream, LOL.

So we took the back roads out to Highway 25, and took a leisurely drive down. I'm not much for speed any more, and as I did the limit, others whizzed past me and were soon far ahead in the distance, and then out of sight. It made me realise, yes I'm finally old. I felt no urge to speed after them, I was too busy enjoying the scenery.


We discovered a cute little park alongside the river, and just pulled into a spot like everyone else there. some families were fishing, some swimming in the deeper spots, some cooking out and just sitting around talking and enjoying being together.


We had a young mama duck and her babies come sauntering by, and pecking at food crumbs left under the picnic benches.


It was very peaceful, just sitting there watching the water flowing over and between the rocks, and seeing the kids having fun.


It made for a relaxing afternoon. Heaven knows, I need relaxing afternoons! I had my stash of "emergency meds" in case I needed them, but it felt good to be out and about. It was such a beautiful day.

We also drove through the downtown area, it was so quaint. and I finally got to see a PIGGLY WIGGLY store after hearing my hubby talk about growing up with them in Florida (all gone by the time we lived there in the 90s) and various friends mentioning them, over the years.

The mill houses are still easy to spot, laid out in neat rows in what were once the mill villages. The mill is no more though, but this town retains the closeness of that small town living that is so welcome in today's harried, bustling world. It brings to mind a few country songs about front porch sitting, good neighbours and how things were a long time ago.

We'll definitely be going back!

6 comments:

  1. Rose, this sounds so lovely and relaxing...in fact I was getting caught up in the scenery of your pictures. I don't think it is because we're old(er) we drive slower I feel it is because we rushed around so fast in our younger years and never enjoyed the scenery around us...now, we feel no rush to be anywhere and to enjoy our life not let it pass us by. Much love, Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that, Jamie! I just like to "enjoy" the ride more. Thanks for stopping my, my friend, much love back at you too :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like such a relaxing place :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were only about 6 miles from my house....while sitting by the shoals of the Saluda River (Pitts Park). The Pig is an icon...been there for as long as I can remember....the "Fred's" drug store next door was once West End Drugs and still has a lunch counter inside for breakfast and lunch. The mill (Riegel) closed in the mid 80s and burned in the early 90s. My grandfather was an electrician there. It was in operation for over 80 years. It would be great to have y'all as neighbors- get to selling some more Avon!...lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow; didn't realise we were that close to Waterloo. I've told Mark, next time we are down there (and there will be a next time, LOL) I don't care what we go in for, I want to go in the Piggly Wiggly, just so I can say I've been in one!

      Delete